Lakshadweep

Introduction

Lakshadweep is a Union Territory of India comprised of a group of 36 islands. Its name means “a hundred thousand islands” in Malayalam and Sanskrit. The capital of Lakshadweep is Kavaratti. It is the smallest union territory in India and is comprised of one district.

Demographics

The approximate population of Lakshadweep is 64,000 people, making it the smallest population of any state or union territory in India. Despite its small size, Lakshadweep has the highest literacy rate of all the union territories (91.85%). 95.56% of the union territory’s males are literate while 87.95% of its females are literate. Lakshadweep also has the second highest sex ratio out of the union territories, 946 per 1000 males. The majority of the population of Lakshadweep follows Islam (96.58%). The second most popular religion is Hinduism, with 2.77% of the population as followers. Other religions practiced in Lakshadweep include Christianity, Jainism, Buddhism, and Sikhism. Most of Lakshadweep’s population (78.07%) live in urban areas, leaving the remaining 21.93% to live in rural areas.   

Economy

Lakshadweep’s key industries are coconut farming, fishing, and tourism.

Politics

Lakshadweep became a union territory in 1956, and was named Lakshadweep in 1973. The lieutenant governor of Lakshadweep is Shri Vijay Kumar IAS.

Further Reading

Lakshadweep: History, Religion, and Society

Lakshadweep, economy and society