Dadra and Nagar Haveli

Introduction

Dadra and Nagar Haveli is a Union Territory of India, located on India’s western coast at the foot of the Western Ghats. It is bordered by Gujarat to the north and Maharashtra to the south. The capital of Dadra & Nagar Haveli is Silvassa. The majority of the population speaks indigenous languages such as Varli, Dhodia, and Konkan, but Gujarati and Marathi are also spoken.

Demographics

The population of Dadra and Nagar Haveli is around 340,000 people, making it about 0.03% of the total population of India. The overall sex ratio is 774 per 1000 males, with a ratio of 682 per 1000 males in urban areas and 863 per 1000 males in rural areas. The literacy rate in Dadra and Nagar Haveli is 76.24% overall, with a rate of 89.79% in urban areas and 64.12% in rural areas. 53.28% of the population of Dadra and Nagar Haveli lives in rural areas, leaving the remaining 46.72% to live in urban areas. The majority (93.93%) of the population follows Hinduism. The second most popular religion is Islam (3.76%). Other religions practiced in Dadra and Nagar Haveli are Christianity, Jainism, Sikhism, and Buddhism.

Economy

The key industries of Dadra and Nagar Haveli are textiles, and plastic processing. 

Politics

Dadra and Nagar Haveli was owned by the Portuguese prior to independence, but in 1947, the Indian government demanded that they leave the territory. Dadra and Nagar Haveli officially joined India as a union territory on August 11, 1961. Its current lieutenant governor is Shri Vikram Dev Dutt.

Further Reading

Dadra and Nagar Haveli: past and present

Integration of Dadra and Nagar Haveli