Telangana

Introduction

Telangana is the newest state of India, formed on June 2, 2014. It is bordered by Maharashtra and Chhattisgarh to the north, Karnataka to the west, and Andhra Pradesh to the south. Some of the major cities of Telangana include Warangal and Hyderabad, which is also the capital of the state. Telangana shares Hyderabad as the capital with Andhra Pradesh. Telangana used to be part of Andhra Pradesh until it split off in 2014. The state is comprised of 10 districts. The official languages of Telangana are Urdu and Telugu.

Demographics

The population of Telangana, despite its recent formation, is approximately 3.5 million people. This figure makes it the 12th most populous state in India. The sex ratio is 988 per 1000 males, with a ratio of 999 per 1000 males in rural areas and 970 per 1000 males in urban areas. 66.46% of Telangana’s population is literate, with a large disparity in the literacy rates of males (74.95%) and females (57.92%). 61.33% of Telangana’s population lives in rural areas, leaving the remaining 38.67% to live in urban areas. The most popular religion in the state is Hinduism, with 86% of the population as followers. The second most popular religion is Islam (12.4%). Other religions practiced in Telangana are Christianity, Sikhism, and Buddhism.   

Economy

Among Telangana’s key industries are IT, pharmaceuticals manufacturing, and tourism. The state is so advanced in technology that a part of the capital, Hyderabad, has been dubbed “Cyberabad” because of all the technology production that occurs there. In 2014-15, Telangana had a gross state domestic product (GSDP) of 71.1 billion dollars. As of 2014, the unemployment rate is about 2.9%, with a rate of 1.6% in the rural areas and 6.9% in the urban areas.

Politics

As mentioned before, Telangana is the newest state and was only formed in 2014. Four years prior to Telangana gaining its statehood, the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) engaged in many peaceful protests against the Andhra Pradesh government. In 2013, the party finally began the process of forming a separate state. When Telangana officially became a state, Sri K. Chandrashekar Rao became its Chief Minister.

Further Reading

From 1948 to 2013: A brief history of the Telangana movement (Firstpost)

Telangana: History and Political Sociology of a Movement